I.B.E.W. LOCAL 494 REFERRAL POLICY
EFFECTIVE August 1, 2019
- The Administrator shall evaluate the applicant and place the applicant in the Group for which he qualifies in accordance with the Labor Agreement.
- The applicant shall sign the appropriate “Out of Work” Book, and print his name, date, address, phone number, and Local Union number if applicable. The applicant shall be advised of his Group Number and his position within that Group.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to notify the Local Union office of any change of address and/or telephone number(s).
- Applicants must re-register monthly beginning on the 10th and ending on the 16th of each month. Re-registration shall be via website, email, fax, in person, or by mail.
- All applicants for referral may appear in person at the Referral Office to receive the “Official Referral Slip” which is to be presented to the Employer. However, in an effort to expedite the process the “Official Referral Slip” may be sent directly to the Employer by other means. The administrator shall also note on the Referral Slip the date when the applicant is referred.
- An applicant who is rejected for employment by the Employer shall immediately notify the Administrator.
a) In the event that an applicant is unable to be referred because of an illness or injury, the applicant must provide the referral administrator with a signed doctor’s note or NECA-IBEW disability statement stating the nature of the condition disabling the applicant from work and the estimated date that the applicant will be available for work. Failure of an applicant to provide the doctor’s note or NECA-IBEW disability statement to the referral administrator, prior to the date of the job posting, will result in the applicant being charged a refusal as provided under rule 13. During the period of time that an applicant has a medical excuse in effect, he/she shall be ineligible to bid on any referral. To commence bidding on referrals, the applicant must provide a second doctor’s note or NECA-IBEW disability statement, prior to the date of the job posting, stating that he/she is physically able to be referred for work. During the period of time that an individual is not available for work because of an illness or injury, he/she is not eligible for unemployment compensation benefits. Upon request from the Unemployment Compensation Division, the Local Union is obligated to advise that the individual is not currently active on the referral list of the Local Union.
PROCEDURE FOR REFERRAL
- Calls for manpower will be recorded on the job line (414) 327-0699 and posted online at ibew494.com/referral daily by 5:00 P.M. A brief description of the nature of the call will be provided stating the name of the employer, the start date, the number of positions available and the anticipated duration (if available). If there are no calls for manpower that day, a message to that effect will be on the recorder and on the website.
- If you are interested in a referral for any of the jobs, at the conclusion of the recorded information state your name, your card number, your job preferences(s), and a phone number where you can be reached the next morning.
- At 7:30 A.M. the following Business Day the job line will be turned off. All respondents will be ranked according to their position on the “Out of Work” list. The highest ranked bidders will be called as soon as possible at the number stated.
- Any new work calls or unfilled calls will be put on the job line for referral the following day.
- All applicants when referred for employment shall fill out a Registration Application. This must be filled out completely in ink and signed by the applicant.
- Any applicant who is hired and receives work of 14 consecutive days or less and is returned through no fault of their own shall be restored to his/her appropriate place within their Group.
- Any regular job referred to someone below you on the Out of Work list is considered a refusal. Registrants will be allowed two refusals without penalty. Upon a third refusal the applicant will have his/her name removed from the Out of Work list. Refusals will be monitored for regular calls only.
Overtime jobs, specialty work and MRA work will not be considered refusals.
a) You will only receive one “Refusal” per calendar day.
b) A “No Rehire” from a contractor will not cause a refusal, but you must bid on the request.
c) It is up to the member to keep track of his/her “Refusals” – you will not be notified when you are removed from the referral list.
- The Administrator shall remove from the list the name of any applicant who accepts a referral but fails to report to work.
15. Any referral applicant recording a job preference who for any reason subsequently declines the job before the told start date will receive a refusal regardless of rule #13.
- All calls will be filled in a timely manner as needed by Employers. In an emergency, referral may have to be made outside normal hours using whatever means are available to fill calls and place registrants.
- Except for persons who are Group 1 status of the Milwaukee Inside, Kettle Moraine inside, or the Residential agreements, applicants who accept employment for any electrical work, in this or any other jurisdiction, shall have his/her name removed from the list and upon eligibility, must again register for work and will be considered a new registrant.
- Sign in may take place anytime during normal operating hours of the Local Union office.
- Any person working in this jurisdiction under the working employer provision of the Inside Milwaukee, Inside Kettle Moraine or Residential Agreement will not be eligible to sign any out of work lists.
- Individuals who receive two (2) discharges for cause within a twelve (12) month period will be suspended from future referral privileges until they appear before the Appeals Committee for a determination as to their continued eligibility for referral.
- Any person called to “active duty” while on the “out of work list” shall notify the referral agent to have his name marked “active duty” and will hold his place on the list without re-sign until his return from active duty. He must notify the referral agent within fifteen (15) working days of his return.
REQUIREMENTS FOR REFERRAL
OSHA 10 – Successfully completed an OSHA 10 course after 1/1/2000.
DRUG TESTING – All first time referrals will be subject to a drug test.
The Appeals Committee consists of:
a Union Member, an Employer Member and a Public Member.
Local 494 – Milwaukee Referral Hours are as follows:
Monday thru Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Local 494 – Kettle Moraine (KM) Referral Hours are as follows:
Monday thru Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Updated August 1, 2019
SPECIAL SKILLS THAT CONTRACTORS CAN REQUEST
OSHA 30, CERTIFIED CLIMBERS, CDL, CERTIFIED WELDER,
INSTRUMENTATION TECH LEVEL 1 AND 2, MASTER LICENSE, NABCET CERTIFIED,
NFPA 70E, RPP, SERVICE TRUCK AND CODE OF EXCELLENCE